Friday 9 March 2018

Mail Whale


This little scene is made up entirely of snippets of a very unusual kind - the insides of junk mail envelopes! They often have patterned insides, most often blue but as you can see here, I found a grey one and I've seen some in orange and red too.

I used my snippets to die cut some waves and a whale, using the X-cut Build-a-Scene Nautical dies, then daubed the upper part of the whale with grey ink to make him look more realistic.

The sentiment is stamped with the brand new Clearly Besotted Pirates at Play set, it had only arrived in the post five minutes before I made this card and seemed to be just right for  it.

I'm sharing this with

Pixie's Snippets Playground - challenge 321
The Male Room - Recycle
A Bit More Time To Craft - Anything Goes
Just Add Ink - Just Add Water

11 comments:

docp said...

That's a brilliant idea, Jane - I love upcycling and often use muesli boxes, biscuit/chocolate packs and tissue boxes in cards, gift tags and shape cutting. However the inside of envelopes hasn't occured to me so far. Looks great!

Linby said...

Fantastic card and great recycling. I don't get junk mail so I never see these envelopes anymore!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Nearly missed this card Jane, it's fantastic and some great recycling going on too.

Sue xx

Di said...

Brilliant card Jane! Really clever how you've used the junk mail patterned insides to effectively. I think we may have shot ourselves in the foot by signing up to the Mailing Preference Service ages ago and all we get these days are flyers for local pizza delivery places and such. Ha, I bet you pounce on junk mail with glee instead of a resigned sigh!

Hugs

Di xx

Liz said...

Fabulous card, Jane, so clever. Brings back memories of saving envelopes to use when teabag folding was all the rage. I used to get excited when Orange Mobile letters arrived as the insides of the envelopes were always an orange patterned design. xx

Jan said...

Such a fun and super cute card Jane! Your envelope liner details are fabulous - love how the two colours work together so well to create your sweet scene for the sperm whale to swim in. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week.

KimB said...

Well that is clever recycling Jane! The blue patterns make a lovely wavescape for your little whale to swim through. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I haven't seen the inside of envelopes on a card for an age, these look fabulous and perfect for a sea scene. Love everything about this card. How fortunate that that stamp came just in time LOL. Thank you for sharing your wonderful card at The Male Room - Faith DT

Anonymous said...

This is so cute - it really made me smile - he looks very happy. Chantell Just Add Ink

Narelle Farrugia said...

This is such a great card! I love that fabulous whale die and the watery scene you've created! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week!

Deborah Frings said...

Brilliant! I think this is the perfect use for those awful junk mail envelopes!! So clever. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room. Deborah, DT.