Sunday 11 February 2018

Chinese New Year card

When we lived in Hong Kong, our home was out in the (then) very rural New Territories,  and wherever we went our journeys would take us through miles of farmland. At this time of year, the fields were full of plum and cherry blossom because everyone wanted to have some in their homes for the New Year celebrations. Strings of bright lights over the fields helped to bring the blossom on at exactly the right speed so that it was all perfect just in time for the big shopping frenzy.

This week's photo inspiration at Just Add Ink  reminded me of driving through those fields, so I just HAD to make a Chinese New Year card.


The stamps are all from a set that was a covermount a few years ago - I think the magazine was Creative Stamping or its now-defunct sister publication, Get Stamping.

And here is the lovely photo from Just Add Ink that brought back such lovely memories for me

7 comments:

Barb said...

What a beautiful card this is Jane. How exciting it must have been to live in Hong Kong. Barbxx

Ellie Lane said...

I was in Hong Kong a few years ago, there's not much farmland left now. Everywhere is so built up and overcrowded. But I have spent Chinese New Year in Asia a few times, it's a fantastic celebration.

Cara said...

Beautiful card and thanks for sharing the inspiration behind it x

Jan said...

This is so pretty Jane! Your cherry branch is so pretty with it's soft and delicate blossoms and thank you for sharing the lovely story and memories that the photo brought back for you. Thanks for joining with us at Just Add Ink this week.

Barbara Godden said...

Beautiful card, lovely story too. when I was younger (really young) my dream was to go to Hong Kong.

Anonymous said...

Perfect card for this Challenge - I really enjoyed reading about the spring blossoms for New Year. Lovely CAS card. Chantell Just Add Ink

KimB said...

I love the simple graphic nature of your blossom branch Jane - so very striking. I enjoyed hearing your memories of your time in Hong Kong too. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.