Wednesday 15 February 2017

Playing around with mixed media

If you are one of my regular followers, you might have noticed that for a few days my only posts have been planned DT ones, and that I've not been churning out my usual couple of cards a day. You may have put that down to missing mojo or lack of time, but actually I've been busy working on a much more ambitious project than I usually tackle, using several new-to-me techniques. So hre we have....... drum roll...... the ink storage unit.



In recent months I've had several lovely craft prizes that have made me feel like stepping outside my comfort zone. The first was from Oak House Studios, and as well as lots of lovely stamps the prize included some watercolour inks in bottles, and a flat packed MDF storage unit for them. I've used the inks several times but didn't really know how to tackle the storage unit.

That all changed when I won a recent challenge at Stamping Sensations and the prize was a bundle of mixed media goodies including some teal acrylic paint and a tube of Kroma Crackle. I really HAD to have a play, and the MDF kit was the perfect place to start.

You'll have to be kind to me, I'm a total novice at this kind of thing and I've probably thrown far too many techniques at it - but my word it was fun!

I assembled the kit and then painted with the acrylic paint. When that was dry I applies the Kroma Crackle, thickly in some areas and thinly in others, and left everything to completely dry. Next I used Imagination Crafts gold and aqua glimmer waxes here and there all over, then used Pumpkin and Green Stazon to stamp roses (from the Oak House studio goodies), leaves (Card-io peg stamps) and textured areas (Gentleman Crafter stamps) randomly all over. Finally I used black Stazon and a tiny butterfly to stamp all over and finished the butterflies with a hint of white gel pen.

Before I hit you with a gazillion photos I'll link up to some challenges so if that's what you're looking for you don't need to get RSI in your scrolling hand.....

I am sharing this with

A Bit More Time To Craft - Anything Goes
Crafty Creations Challenges - Anything Goes
More Mixed Media - Anything goes (omitting the optional red)

And finally, here are some views of it from several different angles. You can see why it's kept me so busy all week!





8 comments:

Barb said...

Congratulations on your recent wins Jane and what a wonderful prize. I love the way you've decorated the paint holder. The colours are beautiful. It really looks stunning. You certainly seem a to be a natural with these mediums and I look forward to seeing what may be appearing on your blog. Barbxx

cotnob said...

This is brilliant Jane, you've done a fabulous job decorating it - it's both beautiful and very useful, it will look great in your craft room.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Sue - said...

My goodness you have been lucky and your ink storage unit looks fabulous!

Carol L said...

Congrats on your winnings and the storage piece you created is wonderful! You took a chance and did a marvelous job with this new technique!

Jean said...

Wow what brilliant storage, you have achieved a wonderful finish. Loving the colours and the butterflies.
Thanks for joining us at A BIT MORE TIME TO CRAFT.
Jean DT xxx

Tracy Welham said...

What a fantastic job you have made of that storage unit - love it. Creative Blessings Tracy x

crafty-stamper said...

Congratulations on your wins and fabulous result love the colour and stamps
Carol x

Anna-Karin said...

Great creation. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations. Hope to see you back soon again. Anna-Karin DT