Tuesday 7 February 2017

Goldfinch on a thistle

Did any of my UK friends join in the RSPCA Big Birdwatch the weekend before last? We took part and it was very noticeable how all the interesting birds we regularly see stayed away from the garden during our hour of counting. But we DID see a couple of Goldfinches, the bird which is the subject of the inspiration photo this week at CRAFT challenge


As soon as I saw this photo, it reminded me of something I'd seen before, but I couldn't place where. I've been racking my brains for days, and then woke up at 4am this morning with the answer - it reminds me a lot of the beautiful goldfinch on a thistle image on Joanna Sheen's Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady CD-rom set. I just had to get up and get printing!

I've combined the image with some coordinating papers from the CD, a stamped sentiment using an Oak House Studio stamp, chosen in honour of today being "International send a friend a card day" (there's a day for everything, isn't there?) and lots of distressing.

5 comments:

Sue - said...

I was going to take part but then forgot all about it! But I know when I did it last time the same thing happened to me, birds were conspicuous by their absence! Did you really get up and start printing at 4am? Well if you did you made a gorgeous card, love the image and the distressing works well with it.

Barb said...

I love this beautiful image and all the distressed layers. A really beautiful vintage card. We get more goldfinches and blackbirds in the garden than anything else and had a feeding frenzy last week during the cold spell. We did the count a couple of years ago and the same happened to us. Isn't it strange. Barbxx

Jean said...

Oh what a stunning and eye catching card, loving all the layers. Such a great sentiment too.
Thanks for joining us over at CRAFT.
Hope to see you again.
Jean DT xxx

Janis said...

I came here to comment on your Snippets contribution and got sidetracked!!

Such a beautiful card, Jane....but definitely NOT a goldfinch! Ha. Just kidding, of course. As an American I used to be so befuddled when cardmakers misidentified the birds on their own cards....only to realize that they weren't American birds!! Dunce cap for Janis!! I have rambled on about this in the Playground about Robins, and here is another example of my American Goldfinch looking nothing like the one you see across the pond! What do you call it??? European Goldfinch? English Goldfinch? I know...you just call it a Goldfinch, so do we...I will have to look it up. :) Thank you for sharing this gorgeous card!! Off to look at your "English Owls" on your Snippets card......
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com
HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful image and papers-love the distressed edges
Carol x