Saturday 15 October 2016

Roasting Chestnuts

Over the last few days, Mark has collected, prepared and frozen around 1kg of sweet chestnuts, ready to use over the Christmas period in stuffings and with Brussels Sprouts. I think he's adding some to a beef casserole tonight too.

I just thought I'd mention that, since the theme of this card is also chestnuts. Although the people are presumably roasting sweet chestnuts, the only chestnut stamps I have are for the leaf and nuts of the Horse Chestnut, or conker. I do hope they aren't planning to eat some of those, or they'll go to bed with tummy ache. And just digressing again, I heard on the news at lunchtime that our Horse Chestnut trees here in the UK are falling victim to a leaf miner beetle so fast that within 15 years there may be none left - our great grandchildren may never know the joy/painful knuckles of a game of conkers.


The topper is one that I won in the now-defunct Suzi Bee's Blooming Challenge, one of a set of reproduction Victorian Halloween cards. Just in case you can't read the text in the photo, it says "I wish we night always roast our Hallowe'en nuts together." Which might not have been quite so much of a double-entendre in Victorian times as it is now - it certainly leaves me chuckling! And for that reason, I am entering it into the Naughty category at Naughty or Nice - Spooky Sisters and Wild, Wild Women.

5 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Yep, you're naughty alright! Wouldn't have you any other way! Thanks for playing along, Jo x

Lindsey said...

I think the Victorians would have appreciated the double meaning of that!! What a fab little card, and love the background you made, too! But so sad to think that horse chestnut trees will disappear. There's one in my MIL's neighbour's backyard that several generations of kids have collected conkers from.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card and they may indeed have realised the double meaning lol,love the backing paper and terrible news about the chestnut trees!
Carol x

Oh You Made Me Ink said...

Haha! Love the sentiment! We all appreciate a good giggle! But, said to hear about the trees even though being from Texas, I have NO idea what the heck a conker even is! Google, here I come!! Thanks for sharing your card with us at Naughty or Nice Challenges! Cyndi, DT

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha! Definitely fits the naughty bill! Love seeing such an innocent image with a naughty sentiment and am glad you shared it with us at NON :)
Sara
DT