Wednesday 4 May 2016

Watercoloured flowers

I'm not usually much of a fan of watercolouring, but I've treated myself to a pad of water colour paper and have started to experiment a bit.  For this card, I stamped a very old unmounted flower stamp with and heat-embossed it with gold EP,  then coloured in the image using Marvy markers and a waterbrush.

For each section, I lightly coloured with a pale colour, drew it out with the waterbrush to fill the space, then dotted a darker colour onto the wet paint and used the waterbrush again to blend the two. For the background, I did short sections at a time, drawing a line close to the edge of the image with a very pale yellow marker then washing it outwards with the waterbrush.


I'm sharing this with lots of challenges today! (well, lots by my standards)

Addicted to Stamps and More - Make your Mark
CAS Mix-up - Stamping and heat embossing - my extra choice is watercolouring
Crafting Musketeers - Summer (and I've used a birthday sentiment just for them!)
Creative with Stamps - Clean and simple 

Mod Squad - April Showers Bring May Flowers 
Quirky Crafts - Flowers  

18 comments:

Liz said...

Lovely card, Jane, and a great stamp. I always tend to shy away from water colouring too, but bought a pack of water colour paper at a craft fair I went to last month, so perhaps I'll have a play soon. Hopefully my attempts at water colouring won't land up in the bin, like they usually do!

scrapper said...

I don't do watercolour because I always go opverthe lines but if you emboss first as you did I can mange OK. Lovely colours

nancy littrell said...

Jane, your Heat Embossed floral bouquet turned out beautifully. If I had one pad of Watercolor paper it would be Arches 140# Cold Press. But if you want a smoother whiter paper Strathmore 140# Mixed Media is great too. TFS your beauty and joining us at CAS Mix Up.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous card and colouring! Thank you for joining us at ATSM this week!
Kamila DT

NanaConnie said...

Really beautiful, Jane! The gold ep is so elegant. Now, I have to put on a DT hat to say, "Thanks for playing along in our "May Flowers" challenge at Quirky Crafts. Good luck in the competition.
NanaConnie DT

Rosemary said...

oh this is just so pretty!!

Cara said...

Lovely watercolouring, so elegant with the gold embossing. Cara x

Dotty Jo said...

This is lovely, Jane! Thanks so much for joining at CWS with this beautiful card, Jo x

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful job of watercolor, Jane! And so elegant with the gold embossing! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up! (Hope you'll do more watercolor.)

Billie A said...

Lovely card and love the CAS look. You really nailed it. So glad you shared your card at Creative with Stamps.

Loll said...

This is so pretty Jane. Amazing watercolouring and love it with the gold embossing. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Monika Reeck said...

Love that gold embossing too Jane and the coloring flowers is adorable
simply but beauty
love your card and thanks so much to joining with us at Creative with Stamps second challenge
hugs
Monika

Susan said...

Love the watercolouring and your choice of gold for the heat embossing colour! Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up.

Barbara said...

Simply beautiful, soft and golden. Thanks for playing with us at The Mod Squad Challenge. Good luck!
Barbara, Mod Squad host

Donna said...

Hi,I am visiting from Creative with Stamps to get a closer look at your lovely card. Donna

Leslie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for playing with Barbara and I in the Mod Squad Challenge Blog's "April Showers Bring May Flowers" challenge this week!
Hugs,
Leslie, MSCB
Love To Scrap!
Love To Scrap! Challenge Blog DT
House of Cards DT
Crafty Friends DT
My Crafting Stories DT
Mod Squad Challenge Blog Hostess

Lilian said...

Lovely flowers!
Thank you for joining us at Creative With Stamps (and ATSM)!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Olesya Andreyeva said...

So so pretty! Love the gold embossing. Thank you for joining us at ATSM blog.
Olesya,DT