Thursday 5 May 2016

It's a bug's life

Today I picked up an old copy of Making Cards from 2010 and noticed that the free papers were still inside. That had to be dealt with right away! And some of them would be perfect with my NBUS set from Clearly Besotted, Cute as a Bug, bought last summer and still uninked. I used them to make a large 20cm square card


I'm not great at paper piecing, and don't do it very often (maybe if I did it more often, I'd be better at it, or maybe I don't do it very often because I'm not good at it - whichever way round it is, it's never a technique that springs to mind when I'm making a card) but a couple of current challenges have prodded me towards it and these little bugs are perfect for it because the arms/legs/feelers/wings get stamped on the background and there isn't then the nightmare of trying to fussy-cut them. I used papers from the magazine for the paper piecing, except for the caterpillar because I thought the green spotty paper looked particularly caterpillar, and the dragonfly which has come out black in the photo but is really a lovely iridescent blue and green metallic.

The little charm-thing in the corner of the panel is a pierced plastic disc from an old Hot Off The Press kit. I masked off the word "bug" from the "love bug" sentiment then inked it with Stazon, removed the mask and stamped the plastic disc. Yes, I have loads of  stand alone stamps that say "love" but I wanted to match the font of the main sentiment.

Right, now, this is the first time I've ever joined in the challenges at Pile it On, so I'm perhaps going to go a bit overboard on challenges, please bear with me - one, two or three is much more normal for me! Fingers crossed I get all the links in the right places.....

Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - Q is for Quilts/Paper Piecing (the snark lies purely in the language I was using while cutting and sticking those tiny pieces of paper!)
C.R.A.F.T. - Paper Piecing
Pile it On - Garden Creatures
A Beautiful Mess - Anything Goes
A Bit More Time To Craft - Anything Goes
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge  - May   
Creative Card Crew- Anything Goes 
Craft Your Passion - Anything Goes 

18 comments:

Cara said...

Those papers are just perfect with that stamp set, both super cute. Love the paper piecing and fab choice of paper for the caterpillar! Cara x

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

That is the most adorable but I've ever seen. I finally got my Katzelkraft kitties that you kept teasing me with, so be on the look out! Thanks for joining the "Q is for Quilts" challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Lindsey said...

Cutest caterpillar EVER. I love the dragonfly wings, and can just imagine him all iridescent. Funny thing, we feel much the same about paper-piecing! The things we do for challenges. And this time, I'm here to thank you for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Brenda said...

This little paper pieced caterpillar is darling! I love the sweet scene you've set up! I'm so glad you joined us at CRAFT Challenge this week!

KraftyKoolKat said...

So pretty and cute. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Creative Card Crew.
Hugs
Cathy DT Member
xxxxxx

Dotty Jo said...

Now isn't that just the cutest paper pieced caterpillar ever! Thanks so much for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers, Jo x

cotnob said...

This is a super card Jane, such a sweet image and lovely bright papers.
Pauline
x

Liz said...

Love this, Jane. Perfect patterned paper to go with your lovely caterpillar and dragonfly. xx

Unknown said...

Fabulous card. I just love those papers, what a lucky find. Thanks for joining us at A Beautiful Mess. Cathy DT x

Denitsa Andreeva said...

Sooo cute card. Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion Challenges. Hope to see you again.

Deni Xx

Barbara Godden said...

love that little bug, and those green polka dot papers are perfect, Fabulous card, thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers.

Chris Dring said...

I find it hard to believe you don't do paper piecing that much, because this cutey patooty card is adorable! I also loved that your snark was in the colorful language you were issuing whilst fussy cutting that little bugger! LOL! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Aunty Sue said...

oh this is so cute thanks for sharing with us at Craft and hope to see you back next week for our special challenge

Majo said...

Super fun card, love your Butterfly and the sentiment. Thanks for playing along with the "quilt" challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers.

Donna said...

That paper is super cute!! Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers for Q is for Quilts!!

*~*Donna*~*

Helen said...

Wonderful card - love all those bugs!
Thanks for playing at Pile It On!
Helen x

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

Free papers...Nice.. good job. Thanks for quilting with the Snarky Sisters.

cotnob said...

Hi Jane, I just popped back to say thank you for joining us at Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper May Challenge.
Pauline
x