Sunday 22 May 2016

Foiling on Peel-Offs

If you've experimented with simple foiling - not using a fancy machine but using rub-on foils such as those available from FoilPlay - you've probably tried foiling on double sided peel offs, and may have had mixed results according to the brand of peel off you used. (I have a batch of unbranded ones I bought from a TV shopping channel that give poor results with everything - foils, glitter, flock or beads, while the few Hot Off The Press ones I have give excellent  results every time). But have you ever thought of foiling "normal" peel offs, perhaps to use up old stash or to get a particular image or sentiment to match the rest of your work?

No, neither had I until this weekend. I'd created a panel using black card cut with the outline part of a Creative Expressions die, and I'd used double sided adhesive sheet to cut the lacy edge, adhered to  the card and foiled it with a multi-coloured foil. So far, so good. Then I realised I didn't have a suitable sized sentiment die to put in the centre of the panel - everything was FAR too big or said the wrong thing.

So I fished out my old peel offs and found a birthday sentiment that looked right, and also an almost-finished sheet of unloved ones to test my theory on.

I covered the images thickly with Tonertex pen while still on their original backing sheet, then tested out different timings - to  remove the image from the backing immediately and apply it to the card? To wait until it was completely dry? After several attempts, I found that the best thing to do was wait until it was tacky but not fully dry. That way, there were no "pools" of Tonertex. Somehow the test images I allowed to dry completely on the backing sheet didn't take the foil as readily as those I removed partway through the drying.

Once they were in place on the card, I allowed the peel offs to dry completely and then applied the foil to match the lace edge. Now my sentiment was an exact match to the border.

The finished panel  looked a little out of proportion on the card I wanted to use it on, so I added a stripe of double sided tape, covered with foil and finished with yet more peel offs - unfoiled this time. One day I'm going to use up that peel off stash!!!


I am sharing this with

Dies R Us - Birthday
Glitter N Sparkle - Anything Goes
Allsorts Challenge - Happy Birthday

11 comments:

Darlene said...

OH WOW ... very pretty Jane! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘BIRTHDAY’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Cara said...

Top tip! Love it, and you've made a fab card too. Cara x

Di said...

Very pretty and a really clever technique Jane. I'll keep my peel offs for now then ;)

Hugs

Di xx

Foil Play said...

Beautiful foiling j- thank you, Jane!

Sherri said...

Fabulous technique & fabulous card! Thanks for sharing!! I'm so glad you could join in our "Birthday" challenge at Dies R Us!

Barb said...

What a great technique. Your foiling looks great Jane. Barbxx

brenda said...

It's a lovely creation Jane and perfect for our challenge, many thanks for joining in with our 7th Birthday celebrations at Allsorts.

B x

Kathleen said...

Well done you for attempting this, I am a stick in the mud, when it comes to trying different things, yes I know you can tell.
Love the black and the bright colours of the peel ofd's. Some people scorn at them but they certainly come in handy many a time. Lovely creation.
Thank you for joining our 7th Birthday challenge this week at Allsorts.

Kath

Unknown said...

really lovely thanks for joining glitternsparkle
Lynne

Janice said...

A lovely card and a clever texhnique. I have lots of peel-offs in my cupboard, I may just have to get them out again!
I have started following your blog.
Janice

Mervi said...

Lovely and sparkly card!
Thank you for celebrating our birthday challenge over at Allsorts;-))m