Wednesday 25 May 2016

A tale of two cards

I really wasn't happy with the "pop" themed card I made the other day  for the Something That Pops or Bangs challenge at Less is More- I've had some very nice comments on it, but of course they are from people who haven't seen it in real life - the camera can sometimes be very flattering! So I wanted to try again - but apart from champagne corks, what else goes pop or bang?

Crackers, party poppers, drums, balloons, car exhausts, the next door neighbour's van door at 3am, a fuse blowing? Either already done, or I have nothing suitable in my stash. And then the thought hit me - BUBBLE WRAP. Can there be anyone among us who has never idled away a few minutes popping bubble wrap? OK, so it doesn't physically appear on the card - but then, there was no real champagne on my first card, just an image of it!

So I set to to use bubble wrap on my card. This time, I knew that I wanted to combine it with the 2nd birthday challenge at AAA Cards and Use Your Stuff's latest challenge of Get Inky.  So I took out a set of three stacking die cuts from a very old Kanban kit and inked the largest and smallest by sponging on single colours from a Kaleidacolor "Birthstone" pad, then inked up the bubble wrap with the whole pad and pressed it onto the middle die cut to give an image of itself. I finished the card by stamping a sentiment on the smallest layer.

Well, the idea was good, but the final assembled card seems to lack something


Maybe it's just not what I was really in the mood for? So, back to square one. This time I cut a square of cardstock slightly smaller than my card blank and used the bubble wrap and ink to make a random splodge in one corner. I then sponged a little of the inks from the two extreme ends of the pad around the edges of the splodge, ran the edges of the card along the dark pink section of the pad for very gentle definition, and then stamped the distressed Birthday word (this was a joining gift from a monthly stamp club, possibly Graphicus? many years ago) over  the inky area and stuck the panel to the front of the card.
 

There now, inky, messy yet still CAS - exactly what I was in the mood for! So at last I have a version I am happy with - I hope you are too!

Sharing this with

Less is More - Something that goes bang or pop
Use Your Stuff - Get inky
AAA Cards - Happy Birthday


  

17 comments:

Sarn said...

I LOVE your bubble wrap cards - especially the second one. I'm all for a bit of inky fun as you know. Well done for trying it out.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Esther said...

These look fab - so gorgeously colourful. I do love the grunge effect of the second one (such a great layout) but they're both fantastic!

KandA said...

Both are super cards but I really love the design of the second. Fabulous colours too xx

Jane said...

Of course I'm happy with your bubble wrap cards - they are pink and purple after all! Thanks for joining in AAA Cards birthday party.

Chrissie said...

I love the look of these bubble wrap cards Jane, super vibrant colours too!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

This is marvellous Jane! A really creative take on the challenge. I must say the second card in this post has stolen my heart - I love how the bubble wrap print fades away. Beautifully CAS too.
Thanks so much for joining in again this week.
Sharon xx
"Less is More"

Justine Hovey said...

Great CAS card! I love the background, the colours and how everything is just nestled into the corner. Thanks for playing along at AAA Card Challenges and celebrating out 2nd birthday with us! Justine

Sarah G said...

Such a clever idea to use bubble wrap, Jane! Love the second CAS beauty. Great to see you playing along at Less is More for a second time :)

Sue - said...

What a great idea to use bubble wrap Jane, I definitely like the second one best!

Unknown said...

I'm loving your bubble wrap cards. Karen x

missgailly said...

I would never have thought to use bubble wrap this way...TOO COOL! Thanks for playing along with USE YOUR STUFF - Gail

Kathyk said...

Well, I'm LOVING your colour choices in both super makes

Kathyk

Tina Z. said...

great idea with bubble wrap - amazing cards.

Neets B said...

Love these colours and a fabulous idea to use bubble wrap too.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More

Monika Reeck said...

both are sweet Jane
I love the second one more
lovely colors with bubble wrap you have used on your CAS card
great post Jane

renee said...

lovely card. Thanks for playing at Use your Stuff!

Cara said...

Great idea to use bubble wrap! Beautiful cards. Cara x