Thursday 14 January 2016

Sparkling snowflake

Ha! I bet you thought that I'd already broken my resolution to make two Christmas cards a week! Well, you'd be wrong, it's only the no-shopping one I've broken, the rest are still going strong. And here is the first of my cards for this week.

Just before Christmas, I won a competition that Cricut ran on Twitter - my prize was £100 worth of products, including several rolls of vinyl. The idea is that you cut it in the Cricut to make iron on motifs to use on fabrics, but as I have no Cricut I tried die cutting it in the Grand Calibur - with great success. There is a clear vinyl covering that holds it all together and means the glitter doesn't shed while die cutting, as it tends to when cutting glitter card.

I've been fiddling around with bits of it, and found that if I simply place a die cut shape in the position I want it on a finished card and then heat quite briefly with my heat gun, the motif sticks firmly in place - no faffing about trying to apply glue to the back or using double sided adhesive sheet. And the clear plastic "cover" comes off easily after heating too - it is still quite sticky, so next time I use some of the vinyl I think I will try foiling, flocking or glittering the "waste" and see if I get extra mileage from it that way.

To set off the glittery snowflake, I kept the rest of the card very CAS, with a scattering of tiny gems and a sentiment stamped with a stamp that appeared during my clear out earlier this week - I must have had it for many years but the rubber was still uncut.


I'm sharing this with

Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - Red
Clear it out Challenge - Winter/Snowflake (the old item is the stamp)
Shopping Our Stash - Something new (the vinyl)
Christmas Card Challenges - Anything Goes

5 comments:

Di said...

Honestly Jane - you really are a whizz at finding out new ways and means to use stuff! And what a great win for you too :) Plus, I love this card, such a perfect sentiment too.

Hugs

Di xx

Donna said...

Two Christmas cards a week?? Go Jane Go!!
Love the glittery red snowflake!
Thanks for playing along with the SHOPPING OUR STASH crew for our "Something New" challenge!!

Barb said...

You certainly are full of good ideas Jane. Love your gorgeous snowflake and what a lovely sentiment. Congratulations on a great win too. Barbxx

La Papera Gialla said...

Thanks for joining us at Christmas Card Challenges this week!
Monica - CCC DT

Mandy LaCroix said...

GREAT CAS design! And that red glittery snowflake is just fabulous! :)
Thanks for sharing it with Christmas Card Challenges!