Sunday 24 January 2016

RUBBER stamping

.. and I don't mean using rubberstamps (and I don't mean stamping with those either - will whoever it was gave that smutty titter please go and stand in the corridor?). I mean stamping with the rubber eraser on the end of a pencil. That's what I've used to create the spotty pattern on this card. It is best done with a brand new pencil, as the edges of the rubber will still be nice and sharply defined. I simply dabbed it onto the separate colours of a Kaleidacolor pad and then stamped at random all over the paper, to give an effect similar to printing with bubble wrap only much more random.

For this card, I used a die cut circle to mask off an area in the centre, then used my rubber to stamp shades of green around it, some overlapping the edge of the circle. I stamped 2 or 3 times for each inking, to give varying intensity of colour. Then I removed the mask and stamped the open space with a silhouette flower stamp, an old UM that's been in my collection since time immemorial. I finished the edges with a little hand doodling.


I am sharing this with

Less is More - Silhouette
Crafty Gals Corner - New for YOU (the stamping with a rubber technique is new to me)
Craft Rocket Challenges - CAS
Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - Technique (no snark today, just technique - so I'll be back later in the fortnight when I've got my snarky hat on)

And while I've got your attention, why not pop over to visit my friend and Twofers teamie, Christi from Art Without Anxiety  - she's got a surprise candy giveaway going on and whatever it is, I know it will be wonderful!

24 comments:

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

What a brilliant idea! Never thought of using a pencil eraser. Clever you!
Beautiful card,
Sharon xx

Zoechaos said...

An oldie but a goodie, great rubber work there Mrs Willis. XOXO

Kathyk said...

Very creative and a fab make too

Kathyk

Linby said...

Very effective, frames the image beautifully.

Evil Edna said...

that is lovely, can I come back in now? there is no heat on in the corridor.EE

Jane Willis said...

Well it's the nearest thing I can offer to a cold shower!
Jane

Anonymous said...

I love this technique and have always wanted to try it but can I find a pencil with an eraser in my crafting chaos no I can't, I have every pen and pencil imaginable but can I find what I want when I want !!!!! No I can't. Gorgeous stamping and love the silhouette.

Marie

Barb said...

I really like this Jane. Not seen this super idea before. Another to try out. Barbxx

Lynne Mizera said...

Well Jane you ROCKED the "T" is for Technique challenge, over at the Sisiterhood for Snarky Stampers! I would have Never thought of stamping with my pencil eraser.... (Nor would I have EVER thought of that "other" rubber stamping reference until you painted that particular picture in my head and NOW I can't get it OUT!?!) grin Your card is Fantastic and Thanks for sharing it with us over at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Wendy L said...

Perfect card for our challenge, thanks for joining us at Craft Rocket Challenge this week, xxx

Lori Kobular said...

Gorgeous card! Love the colors! Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Rocket Challenges!!

Donna said...

Add me to the list of smutty titterers...out to the corridor I go...

Having served my punishment I am back to tell you how much I love your card, the pretty border you've created around the flowers is just gorgeous!

Thanks for joining the SISTERHOOD OF SNARKY STAMPERS for our "T is for Technique" challenge!

Monika Reeck said...

Adorable silhouette flourish dear Jane
and love that green confetty effect
your card always unique and I am sorry just visiting you
I was in Indonesia for 26 days not good internet at my mom home
now I come back and will catch up soon dear Jane
miss you really
visit me again Jane
always happy to get your lovely words
hugs
Monika

Jeanie Ellis - Scrapbookingmamaw said...

Very clever! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Gals Corner! Jeanie, DT

Jane Willis said...

I might have known it would be all the SOSS ladies who would get expelled to the corridor! And you know what I'm thinking now? You could get a great background effect using the ribbed ones to stamp with..... no, I'd better not explore that idea any further....
Jane

Ankie vd Polder said...

Lovely card. Have a nice day, Ankie

Lindsey said...

The lack of snark on your card is quite nicely made up by the first paragraph of your post! This is a perfect technique to use for this pretty card. Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers! I'm waiting to see that ribbed stamped card now... :D

Lena said...

Hahaha, still smiling about your first paragraph. Have to get it right - can't use just any rubber :-) Lovely card, Jane. The colours you used make your image pop beautifully. Thank you for playing along with us at Crafty Gals Corner.
Hugs ~ Lena, DT
Lena’s Creations

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Striking, CAS and fabulous Jane, loving the colour choice around your silhouette image and thanks so much for playing along this week!
Sarah xx
Less is More

Anne said...

Very clever Jane - great new technique and a super make!
Thank you so much
Anne
"Less is More"

Barbara Godden said...

Great card Jane, love how you did the dots. Thanks for joining the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for the T is for Technique challenge.

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

Cute dots adding color to the card! Thanks for playing along with the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for our "T" is for Technique challenge!

Neets B said...

Very resourceful with your frame stamping and doodling. Love that central silhouette too.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Very clever stamping

Maarit (GDT Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers)