Friday 8 January 2016

Iris Folding Kimono

I've had lots of iris folding card blanks and a big bag of pre-cut strips in my stash for more years than I care to remember, and had just about forgotten about them until I fished them out to make a Christmas snow globe a few weeks ago. And it reminded me just how fascinating it is. You can only see the back of your work until it's completed, and to be honest it looks a right mess, and the surprise when you turn it over and see the front gives you a real "Did I really make that?" moment! So over the next few weeks I plan to really USE that Iris folding stash.

My only problem with Iris Folding is that it's all too easy to concentrate just on the aperture and leave the rest of the card looking a bit bare. And yet with so much going on in the image, it's never going to get away with being labelled CAS. Back in the day, peel off borders were generally considered to be the answer, but I wanted to do something more interesting this time round, so I used Broken China DI to stamp oriental blossom sprigs randomly over the card front, and lightly inked the edges of the card and aperture.

I kept to blue/white/silver for the papers I used for folding, but when I turned the card over, the kimono didn't really stand out from the card enough, so I used a silver gel pen to add a very faint outline to it.

I'm sharing this with

Make My Monday - Iris Folding
Shopping Our Stash where this week's challenge is in memory of Leslie and the theme is Monochrome or Pink

10 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Jane, I absolutely love this card. The glittery kimono looks gorgeous and what a great idea to stamp on the card too. I used to love iris folding. It's actually the technique that got me interested in cardmaking many years ago. I've got several of the little pattern books and also lots of strips plus a few iris folding stamps. I think I might get them out again too as this year I want to continue to use up old stuff. Barbxx

Di said...

Wow Jane!
This really is fabulous! Love the blossom on the card - neat idea :) And of course the kimono is gorgeous - esp. with the outline you drew!

Hugs

Di xx

Sue - said...

Fab card Jane. The stamped background really enhances the iris folding!

Divya Deepak said...

Oh wow!..This is beautiful....and I love the colours...so wintry:) Great blog you have here:-)

Donna said...

Fantastic job with the iris folding! Thanks for playing along with the crew at SHOPPING OUR STASH for our "Colour Me Monochromatic" challenge!

Liz said...

Wonderful card, Jane. Lovely design. xx

Cazro said...

Hi Jane, A beautiful glittery kimono, great with the cherry blossom background. Thanks for your entry at Make My Monday. Caz DT

Chana Malkah said...

Very nicely done, Jane! I have tried Iris Folding and my brain just can't get there. Your Kimono is beautiful and surrounding it with cherry blossoms was the perfect choice! Thanks for accepting the challenge this week at Shopping Our Stash!
Hugz,
Chana, DT

Barbara Godden said...

This is Awesome, I love iris folding and yours is fabulous. thanks for joining us at Shopping Our stash for the Colour Me Monochromatic challenge,

Greta said...

It's been so long since I've done Iris folding & I love it! You've inspired me with this gorgeous card, Jane!