Monday 4 January 2016

First of the year!

In my blog about resolutions, I said I was going to make two Christmas cards a week - well, here's this week's first.

There are lots of challenges around at the moment asking us to use the new stash we got for Christmas - well my pressies only included one die and no other stash. The die will be appearing in a post later this week. But a few days before Christmas I won a super set of Spellbinders dies from a blog challenge, and thought the circles around the edge looked just like snowballs, making it perfect for Christmas cards.

The stamp I used is one that was a magazine freebie a few years ago. I used the largest die to cut and emboss the image, then used the die as a stencil to very lightly chalk blue and grey around some of the edges to add a little depth. It still didn't show up too well against the snowflake backing paper I'd chosen, so I thought I'd add a plain silver oval behind it, but none of my dies was big enough so I hand drew one, using the snowball die as a template and "joining the dots" between the tips of the circles. Then I hand cut it. When I'd positioned everything on the card, the edges had a slightly hand-cut look, so I finished them with flexible peel offs - which of course I then had to use around the rest of the card, too, for the sake of consistency.

I am sharing this with

Jingle Belles - Something Old, Something New
Sweet Stampin - Something new
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - January

10 comments:

scrappymo! said...

This card is so lovely. The design looks wonderful and I love that beautiful snowflake DP.
Could you drop me an email at scrappymo1@gmail.com regarding your design team spot for the Rudolph Days Challenge I have an email ready to send dout to everyone who applied but need to create a group email to send it off.

Thanks
Maureen

Darnell said...

Ah, I'm a sucker for consistency so I love it, Jane! And I'm impressed that you used that rare tool called skissors! More than that, I'm impressed that you already have made your first Chrissie card of 2016!! I bow and applaud!! Hugs, Darnell

SmilynStef said...

I love postal images ... so very glad you started the year with us at jingle belles.

Karen Letchworth said...

Hello there, Jane! Your card is fabulous. So many awesome colors, a great image, and creativity that has NO end. I would be honored to have you stop by and play along with us in these fun challenges:
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com

CropStop - Anything Goes
www.cropstop.com/blog

I hope that you will join us. It's always fun to make new blog friends, and I LOVE your art. Please stop by to join us, and have a blessed week.
Karen

Barb said...

I love your pretty card Jane and well done making a start on 2016 Christmas cards. You must have a very steady hand cutting that oval, well done. Barbxx

Liz said...

Lovely card, Jane. The Spellbinders die does look like snowballs and is perfect against the lovely backing paper. xx

JANINE QUINN MIDDLESBROUGH, UK said...

Such a pretty Christmas card. I love your sweet layout - this is just perfect for our 'New Stash/Occasion' theme this week. Thank you for sharing your card and joining in with the fun at Sweet Stampin’ this week and good luck. Hugs Janine xx

lauren bergold said...

what a fun & fab holiday card and such a great start to your 2016 xmas card stash! so pleased you could join our JINGLE BELLES fun! ♥

Julie said...

Super cute card. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge extra
Julie T

Jennifer Scull said...

what a cute card with that wonderful metallic paper and fun image!

thank you so much for joining our challenge over at The Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra Blog! :)