Wednesday 13 January 2016

A stamped and foiled flower

If you look over at my badges, you'll see one for the Foil Play design team. Well, that's not strictly accurate, as the DT was a temporary thing, but Gill, who runs the business, is an old friend, and I love her products, so I am more than happy to give Foil Play a plug every time I use them.

Magazines, websites and TV shows all tell us that foiling is going to be BIG NEWS this year, and foiling machines are popping up all over the place, but with the foils from Foil Play, you don't need any special gadgets, just the foils, something sticky and your fingers. Which means they aren't just a lot cheaper, but they are very safe to use - my granddaughter's been using them confidently since just after her 4th birthday.

The "Something sticky" can be all kinds of things - glue pen, Tonertex pen, double sided tape, double sided peel off stickers, die cut sheets of a double sided adhesive such as Stick-It, sticky embossing powder..... so far the only thing I've not had much success with is an adhesive "ink" pad. But today I decided to see if it would work with conventional heat embossing.

I stamped and embossed a flower and sentiment on a snippet of black card using Uniko's Flower Power set, with gold ink and gold embossing powder. Then I IMMEDIATELY pressed the gold foil over the embossing and rubbed it (using a couple of tissues to protect my fingers as it was very hot).

Because the embossing cools quite quickly and the foil would only stick while it was hot, the foil only partly covered the original image - which is why I'd used gold ink and powder - giving gorgeous gleaming highlights to the image, sadly not really visible in the photo despite me having tried shots at every angle imaginable. It looks particularly good on the words, in real life.

I mounted the finished piece on a snippet of gold mirri and added it to my card, with a couple of peel off borders to set it off.


I'm popping in to the Snippets Playground with this, and  also sharing at Sweet Stamping - Flowers   and Just Us Girls - Metal/Metallics

9 comments:

Foil Play said...

What a great card, Jane - and a new technique to boot :D Thank you for the plug too!

meg said...

Excellent description of this technique Jane, must give it a go, lovely card

Barb said...

A great job you've done Jane. Your card is a beauty. Barbxx

Liz said...

Such a classy looking card, Jane. I've not tried foiling, looks like another technique I need to add to my list of things to do in 2016! xx

Di said...

What a great result Jane! I just love this card. Somewhere here, in the depths of a drawer, there lurks a little box with some foil in (possibly from Foil Play many years ago?) and I used to use it with a fine glue pen. Despite reading about the foiling machines I'd forgotten all about the original technique - love you new spin on it - tomorrow (today in fact) will see me scrabbling around hunting for the foil. I'm almost SURE I can loacte it quickly - if not then I've stupidly thrown it away. And that would be most unlikely! As I said - I LOVE your card!

Hugs

Di xx

Anonymous said...

Your card is beautiful and from your description I can see it must be even more stunning IRL!
Thanks for joining us this week at Just Us Girls!

Sarn said...

OOOH LOVELY!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Cass said...

Fab card. Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin'
Cass xx

Linby said...

Beautiful result.