Thursday 3 September 2015

The Owl Service

Does anyone else remember the children's book "The Owl Service" by Alan Garner? I used to love that, and somehow every time I see a stylised owl used in crafting I think of it, even though the owls in the book were on china and not card.

Anyway, I digress. This morning I dug out an old issue of Craft Stamper, from way back in 2009, and had a play with the cover stamp, making a couple of projects inspired by the ones designed for the stamp in the magazine. The patterned paper I've used is a NBUS owl design from my stash, it's a 12 x 12 with a pretty scalloped edge - I've made use of the edge in my cards.

For the first card, I wanted to have the owl sitting on a branch in front of the die cut moon, but I don't have a branch die and the only branch stamp I have was the wrong size for the card, so I cut my branch freehand from a snippet of brown card.


I am sharing this card with
Crafty Creations Challenges - Out on a limb
Fan-tastic Tuesday - Cute
Shopping Our Stash - Put a bird on it   

For my second card, I used the side border of my patterned paper, giving the rest of the green card a hand-doodled "zig zag stitch" frame using a white gel pen. I die cut a circle in the green card and again used the white gel pen to frame it, this time with "running stitch". I placed another piece of the owl paper behind the opening and made my owl sit on the edge, then stamped a greeting, "stitched" around the edge with a brown marker and finished it off with flowers from my stash.


I an sharing this card with

House of Cards - Stitching, real or faux
Fab'nFunky - Doodle

I've still got about half of my owl paper left, so keep an eye open for a sequel to this post (perhaps I'll *really* confuse you and call it Elidor!)

9 comments:

Barb said...

They're two really cute cards June. That's very pretty paper you have used. Barbxx

Dotty Jo said...

I loved the Owl Service as a child and now that I work as a school librarian I share the book with my older readers as its a bit scary! Love your cards - I have such a soft spot for owls. Thanks so much for playing along with us at HOC this month, Jo x HOC/DT

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

That is awesome! Love that sweet owl and your doodling is fab!! You did such an awesome job! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Fab 'n' Funky this week for our 'Doodling' challenge. Your beautiful card is perfect for this challenge. Hugs, Wends x Fab 'n' Funky DT

Mynn xx said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this sweet little guy--owls are a fave of mine! Beautiful color schemes, too! Fabulous cards! Thank you so much for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Donna said...

Fab cards! I do love owl images! Thanks for playing along with the Shopping Our Stash crew for our "Put a Bird On It" challenge!!

Monika Reeck said...

both are so cute card Jane
the first one lovee how you make the scene and the DP is yummmyyy
and the second one clever made the stiches...you drew it?
love it
love that cute little owl Jane
Thanks for joining HOC this month
see you again next month
hugs, Monika (HC DT member)

Lilian said...

Great cards! Great faux stitching on the second one!
Thank you for joining us at House of Cards!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Merethe A said...

Hi love your little owl, and those droodled stitches.
Thanks for playing along with our challenge at House of Cards
Ma (✿*‿*) HOC DT
http://majaapia.blogspot.no/

Karen Petitt said...

Thank you so much for entering our September Stitching Challenge. I hope we see you again for the October challenge Karen (DT House of Cards)