Sunday 27 September 2015

Getting Steampunky

Steampunk is a style I can't seem to get to grips with. I think it's because it isn't just a crafting genre, to some people it is a whole lifestyle choice, and there are traditions and conventions that I don't  know and probably wouldn't understand. So when a challenge asks us for a steampunk creation, I always flounder! However a challenge isn't a challenge if it isn't a challenge IYKWIM so I've dived in (probably with a Victorian style underwater helmet on) and had a play.

I'm not really sure whether it is really steampunk, and it's a long way out of my comfort zone, but OMG I had a lot of inky, messy fun making it!

The base card is plain dark brown. I accidentally got a bit of adhesive down the folded side, so rather then try to remove it I sprinkled copper glitter over it and incorporated it into the design. I gave the card a very rough edging by running a Tonertex pen in random places around the edge and foiling it with a gold/black distress effect foil from Foilplay.

The next layer is made with something I'm testing for Foilplay - thin aluminium foil, like kitchen foil, only with a paper backing. This gives it the strength not to break and tear when embossed or distressed. I embossed it with a manuscript folder, then splodged random drops of alcohol ink in Ginger, and finally distressed the edges with an edging tool. Here is a piece of the remaining foil so you can see what a crisp impression the embossing gives.


For the next few layers, I used snippets of  patterned and textured paper and distressed the edges with an edging tool and Walnut Stain DI. On the two newsprint layers I stamped - the astrolabe is from the docrafts Chronology set and the cog border from the Viva Décor Old Fashioned Design set.

The dragonfly tucked between the layers is a snippet of brown card stamped with a Personal Expressions stamp (I don't know the exact name, my daughter bought it for me when she was studying in the States)  and embossed with  Verdigris embossing powder.

The main image is also from the Viva Décor Old Fashioned design set, with the rivets and border foiled with the gold/black distress foil I used on the edges of the base card. The Penny Farthing bicycle is a Marianne die used with a snippet of brown pearlescent card, and the metal dragonfly and key are from my stash, I think they came from The Bead Shop.

The embellishment up the side of the card - not sure what to call it - swirly thing? is a white self adhesive one made from very thick card. I covered it in embossing ink and embossed with Verdigris EP, then while the embossing was still hot, sprinkled on pinched of black, copper and Wild Tiger EP and heated it again. All the heat dried up the adhesive, and I had to glue it down.

Finally, because I didn't have enough junk on there already, I added a couple of words from a very old sheet of peel offs.

So there you have it. It's steampunk, Jim, but not as we know it. Or something. But it was a helluva lot of fun to make!

I'm sharing this with

Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - P is for Punk.... Steampunk


Fantasy Stampers - Steampunk
Sweet Stampin' Challenge - Use a non white base
A Bit More Time To Craft - Anything Goes   
Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 196
That Craft Place - Mixed Media/Anything Goes

18 comments:

Foil Play said...

Wow - what a fabulous card, Jane, that paper backed foil is looking good too - I must get on and list it!

Cazro said...

Hi Jane, I love the eclectic mix on your steampunk card. Thanks for joining us at Fantasy Stampers Caz DT.

Chris said...

Hi Jane, I do know what you mean about a challenge....if we always stay inside our comfort zone how challenging is it?!!
You've created a fantastic Steampunk card here! Thanks for sharing it with us at Sweet Stampin'!
Chris
x

Lozzy said...

What a fantastic card, stunning design and colours..Thank you for joining us at A Bit More Time To Craft Challenge. Good luck in draw..Hugs Lozzy x

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW so many fun elements to look at on your blog and love the dragon fly.
And Thank you so much for visiting my blog
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts School Projects

Di said...

LOVE this Jane - and you did make me giggle about the 'junk'! Not one jot of junk, it's all very clever and not something I'd tackle for sure!

Hugs

Di xx

Joan said...

Fab Steampunk card Jane, love all your embossing and inking and that foil looks very interesting !

Joan

Donna said...

It's steampunk Jim....LOL
You rocked it! This is all kinds of awesomeness!! Thanks for coming back to the sisterhood for our P is for (steam)Punk challenge!

Sarn said...

I think you rocked the Steampunk element. Isn't it great to just PLAY and get a good result?
Hugs, Sarn xxx

Craftychris said...

This is fabulous, So many elements! Wonderful xxx

Chris Dring said...

"It's Steampunk Jim, but not as we know it." OMG!!!! I about snorted wine out my nose when I read that! LMAO! This is All. Kinds. Of. Steampunky. Goodness!! You totally rocked the challenge! Thanks for the laughs and for joining in the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Lindsey said...

This is all kinds of steampunky goodness! I love me some verdigris embossing powder, and it's perfect here. Everything WORKS. Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Sammy said...

Love it, love it, love it! Awesome steampunk card. Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week. Sammy-x

Chelle (PhotoArt/MaybeCreative) said...

Great job. Thanks for joining us at Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers.

Karen Schroeder said...

Very cool! I love the foil background! Thanks for joining in the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

JayBe said...

What a fabulous design, Jane - love all the different elements and particularly the metal effect background. Thanx for playing along with us at Fantasy Stampers.
Hugz, Jan (DT) xx

Maria Moorhouse said...

Fabulous card Jane! I particularly like the pop of green mixed in. Thanks for joining us at Fantasy Stampers challenge x

Katie said...

Gorgeous card and love how you have altered the chipboard. Thank you for playing along with That Craft Place