Saturday 5 September 2015

Cities at Twofers

Today sees the start of our third challenge at Twofers, and this time the theme is Cities. Don't forget, we want to see a PAIR of something, and you must include stamping.

I've used Tim Holtz's Cityscape stamps to create a pair of bookmarks.

For my first, I thought about the copper "etchings" that were so popular in the UK in the 1970s. My dad went crazy for them and the walls of my Mum's house (sadly Dad passed away many years ago) are festooned with them. Most of them were not real etchings at all, but scenes of cities and streets printed onto sheets of copper-style metal, so I thought the style of the cityscapes stamps would lend themselves very well to this.

I used a semi-matte metallic copper card, which I dusted with an anti-static bag to stop the embossing powder from clinging to the metallic surface,  and stamped the London scene in Versafine ink in order to preserve as much detail as possible, then embossed with clear powder. The result is very reminiscent of the old copper etchings. The embossing has come up so shiny that it's reflected the flash when I tried to photograph it!


For my other bookmark, I thought about the old style printed books from before photography, when pictures were produced using etched plates. I stamped the Paris scene in sepia ink, and very lightly edged it with a little Tea Stain Distress Ink.


Both were finished by matting onto co-ordinating card and using a Crop-a-Dile to add the eyelet for the ribbon.

Why not pop over to Twofers and see what the teamies have created, then join us with your city-themed twofer?

I'm sharing the "copper etching" bookmark at Crafty Gals Corner where this week's challenge is embossing
And I'm sharing the pair of them at Craft Your Passion where the theme is always Anything Goes.

4 comments:

Zoechaos said...

I love these bookmarks Jane the reminder of the copper etching and your take here is brilliant. XOXO

Liz said...

Two great bookmarks - I especially love the first one, you've captured the effect of the copper etching perfectly. xx

Tanvi said...

Lovely bookmarks! TFS at Craft Your Passion#277!

Pia S said...

These bookmarks have such different looks and styles, yet they make a perfect set. I'm actually unable to pick a favorite. But the copper one has a style I've never tried myself before and definitely would like to give a go.