Wednesday 9 September 2015

A tale of Beatrix Potter

When we were on holiday in the Lake District, we visited the World of Beatrix Potter attraction in Windermere with our granddaughters, aged 3 and 6. It's a super attraction for children who have read the books and will enjoy the scenes and tableaux. Our granddaughters particularly  enjoyed the garden, where they met the real, live Mr MacGregor (they didn't seem to mind that it was actually a woman) who, seeing that they were genuinely interested in gardening, showed them how to take cuttings from a stalk of geraniums that had been damaged by the crowds.

And if you are going, be aware that it DOES get very crowded. We went on a wet day in August, so probably one of their busiest days of all. It was fine when it first opened and for an hour or so after that, but by the time we had been in for a couple of hours it was absolutely packed.

Anyway, I digress. Back to the crafting. And I thought today that whenever I think of snippets, I forget all about my "CD Snippets" - those bits left over after you've printed out a sheet of toppers but only used one, or a whole sheet of background paper that you just use half of. I don't put those into my normal snippets box, all my CD-related scraps and snippets go into a plastic wallet where they tend to just languish, unloved, until they get dog eared and tipped into the recycling bin.

So, I decided to change that and make a card that will remind my granddaughters of their outing. I rummaged through the wallet and pulled out all the snippets printed from the Crafters Companion Beatrix Potter CD, and put some of the Tom Kitten themed ones together into a card that vaguely resembles something I saw in a magazine a few years ago.

The pretty white scalloped borders are cut with a Marianne Creatables die that actually has a series of slots to thread ribbon through, but I've stuck that part behind the strip of paper so that just the edge shows. The flowers and leaves are cut using Spellbinders - one of the Flowers sets but I can't recall which! All the plain card came from my snippets box too.



I'm sharing these with

Pixie's Snippets Playground - week 193 (we have to keep Sarn busy, don't we?)
Cuttlebug Mania - Anything Goes
Glitter and Sparkle - Anything Goes 

8 comments:

Sarn said...

Hi Jane . . . I see you're no longer "IT" in the playground . . . everyone's running around having a fine time, wearing themselves out so they are well-behaved when they get home tonight!

What a lovely idea to make a Beatrix Potter themed card as a reminder of your happy day out, using up your CD snippets. I bet they breathed a sigh of relief instead of being chucked into the recycling bin!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Liz said...

A lovely card and what a great reminder of your holiday in the Lake District.

Glad you managed to catch someone in the Playground. :-) xx

Unknown said...

Fabulous card. Thank you For entering the Glitter N Sparkle Blog Challengs xx DT Crafter Sarah xx

Monika Reeck said...

Jane this is awesome
love the topper the main image and the lovely Kitty paper you have
and you have lovely border too
the color combo is wonderful too
beautifully made
hugs, Monika (try to catch up)

Di said...

Fabulous Jane!

Hugs

Di xx

Cuttlebug Mania DT

Carol L said...

The grands should really get a kick out of this treasured creation - made especially for their pleasure! It's beautiful and such a gem to remind them of your trip together!

Kimbo said...

This is so pretty Jane. I know what you mean about CD snippets - must dig into mine sometime

Thanks for playing along at Cuttlebug Mania this time x

Mrs A. said...

Just catching up with everyone. I hid in the bike shed so no one could find me after the donkey tail pinning incident!! Like your Beatrice Potter snippets card. I can't bear to throw even the tiniest of snippets out. I'm sure they can be put to use.Lol.
Hugs Mrs A.