Monday 31 August 2015

Getting Christmas Buttoned Up

Before I start, I'd just like to tell you of a competition over at the new challenge Twofers. We are giving away two lovely stamps - the task is to comment (comments aren't going to be published until after the competition closes) telling us all the different ways you can think of using stamps and inks. It's open internationally - but you need to be quick as it closes on September 3rd!

Right, back to the post.....

Some time ago I bought a bargain bag of big beautiful buttons (oh my, aren't we alliterative this afternoon?) which included just ONE gorgeous poinsettia button. The other buttons were equally gorgeous but there was nothing the least bit Christmassy about them - and what do you do with ONE gorgeous button?

Well this morning I was rummaging through my button box, looking for some shirt buttons for a future Cardz 4 Guyz DT project, when I happened to drop a few on the table and when I looked down at them, I thought, "Hold on, that looks a bit like a Christmas tree...."  - light bulb moment!

A little rearranging and swapping of colours (dayglow pink and black just didn't hit the spot) and I'd produced a Christmas tree that featured my beautiful button. I arranged it on snippets from my snippets box, but the size it sort of naturally evolved to wasn't really compatible with any standard card size.

Rather than cut a custom blank and then find I had no suitable envelope, I thought I would try giving my card a " flat spine". To do this, I took a 15cm square card blank and scored 2cm in from the fold on both the front and back. Then I stuck the two layers together from the fold to the score line, and creased the new folds so that the card opens at that point. To decorate and reinforce the spine, I used Christmas washi tape that picks up the poinsettia flowers, wrapping it completely around the spine with the join at the back.




Here's a little aerial photo in case it isn't too clear what I mean.

I'm sharing this festive make with

Glitter and Sparkle - add buttons
Christmas Card Challenges - anything goes
Pixies Snippet Playground - week 192  

9 comments:

Barb said...

Unfortunately I don't have too many light bulb moments these days! However Jane, your card is lovely and a very interesting way of putting it together. I enjoyed reading how you did it. Barbxx

Morrighani said...

I am so obsessed with buttons. This is really cute. But I can't forgive the C word until at least November - it seems to be everywhere this year already!

Extreme Housewifery

Di said...

Glorious Christmas Tree you made Jane - and I do love the flattened spine on your card. Never seen that done before - and it looks great! Another one to try :)

Hugs

Di xx

La Papera Gialla said...

Great card! I LOVE buttons!
Thanks for joining us at Christmas Card Challenges!
Monica - CCC DT

Sarn said...

Lots of lovely alliteration!

Brilliant button makes.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

JoAnn said...

What a unique and lovely card. Thanks so much for joining us at Christmas Card Challenges.

Unknown said...

Fabulous card thank you for entering at Glitter N sparkle this week xx DT Sarahjayne xx

Monika Reeck said...

Congrats on your win at glitter and Sparkle Challenge Jane
this is Genius Card
Adorable Design and I just arrive in Munich
tired and much clothes to wash
Big hugs from Germany and happy you you got my baby card
still have no time to make NEW CARD

MaryH said...

Saw the link to this beautiful & innovative card over at the Snippets Playground. Since I love buttons (collected 'em for years), I'm really thrilled at this design - and the poinsettia button was a real find. Perfect addition to your button tree. Also thanks for the spine idea. Looks great here, and would come in useful for many card designs. Well done! TFS & Hugs