So, I stamped it in black then cut a square mask somewhat larger than the image and stamped it again around the edge, using the pink/purple end of a Kaleidacolor "Birth Stone" pad and masking each one as I went. That was supposed to be the finished card, but it had a rather "unfinished" look to it - until I went around the central masked area with a black pen.
Now it looks as if the central panel is piled up on top of lots of layers below - and yet it is all one layer. Incidentally the base card is actually white - all that purple and pink ink seems to glow so much that it's caused the optical illusion of a pink background card!
I'm joining in with:
Sweet Stampin Challenge Blog - All or nothing (one layer or many layers) as this is one layer that looks like many!
One Layer Simplicity Challenge - Words, Words, Words