Wednesday 2 April 2014

Turtle Dreaming

This week at Pinspirational Challenges we've been given this gorgeous turtle photo to interpret.


Now I usually need to mull over the weekly photos long and hard (all too often for so long that the challenge is over before I've decided what to make) but this week I immediately thought of one of my favourite rubber stamps, this turtle, part of a set of Australian Aboriginal design stamps that my friend Rosemary got hold of for me when she lived in Australia some years ago. I coloured the image in with gel pens to give it a slightly lacquered appearance, as if the turtle was wet from the sea.

Another stamp in the set is a circular one, with a spear-and-boomerang motif, and I used this to stamp a Versamark background on a Kraft card blank.

Next I brayered shades of blue ink onto white card and made dotted bands to give it a watery effect and echo the bands of coloured dots used in Aboriginal art. I alternated with a clear and a white gel pen, but unfortunately the white wasn't really man enough for the job so only the clear one shows up on the photo. I've added a second photo taken at an angle to try to show the dots a bit better.





2 comments:

Marina said...

This is a great card , Jane and absolutely perfect for our challenge. The way you've coloured the lovely stamp with gel pens is really effective and I love the watery background. Thank you for joining us at Pinspirational Challenges. Come back next week!
Marina

Nancy in Iowa said...

Awesome image! Love the watery 'feel' of the background! This has an overall 'batik' feel to it! Very nice! Thanks for joining over at PIN. (And I understand the comment about missing the entry deadlines...I'm a 'muller' too!