Saturday 5 April 2014

A stitch in time

Once upon a time, I was practically surgically attached to my sewing machine. For a few years, leading up to 1985, I lived in Hong Kong, where there was the most amazing selection of sewing fabrics to be had. And since I am very tall and the local dress shops catered for Chinese ladies who tend to be a good 20cm shorter than me, dressmaking was a necessity as well as a pleasure.

Back in the UK, I found fabrics harder to find - and much more expensive. And that's got more so over the years. And dress shops for taller people opened, then the ordinary high street stores started to make longer lengths, so my interest in sewing waned.

My daughters both enjoyed dressmaking and machine embroidery in their teens, but they are in their 30s now, and my sewing machine has languished under the stairs ever since.

Then a few weeks ago I had to lift it out to do a repair, and remembered just how much I enjoy using it - yes, even for mending. And it made me think about how much stitching I'd seen in card making recently. So, I've been having a little play..... be kind to me, it's been a long time and I forgot that you need to drop the feed teeth to get a smooth curve, so the butterfly's "trail" is a bit jagged! Nevertheless, I think you'll be seeing a lot more stitching on my cards from now on.
 
 
 

I'm joining in with
Time Out challenges #2 - Home Sweet Home
Less is More week 166 - Turquoise
Addicted to Stamps and More #89 - CAS
CAS on Sunday #30 -stitched

17 comments:

emmasfabulous said...

Very pretty :) Always nice to rediscover something you love.

Claire Toplis said...

awwwh pretty

nicky said...

very sweet card . hugs nicky

Helene said...

Lovely card. Makes me want to learn how to sew!

Anne said...

This is super, like you I have neglected my sewing for cardmaking but I do enjoy adding a bit of stitching to my cards, you've really added texture and interest with it
Thanks so much for playing along at Less is More this week
Anne

sandie said...

You did a great job with the stitching and how fab to find a re-need passion. Thanks for joining us at TIME OUT

Erica said...

Beautiful card, the stitching really adds an element of fun to it.

Jan said...

Fabulous card love the butterfly xx Jan

Sue said...

I like the texture on your butterfly and great job with the stitching! Thank you for joining us at ATSM.

Chrissie said...

This looks terrific Jane, love the stitiching!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Deepti said...

I love the textured butterfly and ur amazing stitching :) great card !! thank you for sharing with ATSM!!

Carina said...

Just a lovely card.

Beverley said...

So pretty, I love the texture and colour you've used. Thanks for taking the TIME OUT and joining in on the challenge. Hugs Bev x

Unknown said...

Pretty card! Love your stitching.

Dawn @ LilyPinkScraps said...

Very pretty :) Love that textured butterfly and the simple stitching is the perfect touch. Thanks for playing at Time Out!

Anonymous said...

I so envy people who can use a sewing machine! Love your card and the texture that the stitching created! Thanks so much for joining us at Time Out :o)

~Shery

Mariken said...

Lovely card!
Thank you for joining our challenge at CAS on Sunday!
Mariken xx