Monday 25 February 2013

Meal Planning Monday 25th February - "Home alone"


This week Mark will be away for a few days, so I'll be able to indulge in fish while he is away. And when he gets home, after several days of hotel food, he will be craving veg!

Monday chicken "Nigel Slater style" - I don't know why we always call it that, as he has written hundreds of chicken recipes and this doesn't follow any of them, but it's a family habit that has stuck. Pan fried chicken with mushrooms in a creamy sauce, with rice, baked tomatoes and green beans. I'll cook extra rice to make fried rice tomorrow.

Tuesday while the cat's away, the mice will play!  Sweet chilli prawns with red peppers - Mark's nightmare meal but I'll be able to enjoy it all to myself, with fried rice made from yesterday's leftovers.

Wednesday I have a piece of salmon in the freezer, earmarked for salmon and broccoli mornay, but I might go out to buy fish and chips instead - I've been fancying some fish and chips for months now but seldom get the chance to have them.

Thursday Mark is due home late evening and will be tired and hungry. Comfort food is called for - and comfort food that won't spoil if his flight is delayed and he gets in late. So I'll make macaroni cheese - I can make it in individual portions. Then if he's late I can eat at my normal time and not throw my blood  sugar levels into a state of confusion.

Friday I'm planning to try cheesy lentil pie with cornmeal pastry  which we'll probably have hot with lots of veg on Friday and cold with salad for weekend lunches.

Saturday I expect Mark will be cooking, so the choice will be up to him

Sunday grilled Merguez sausages and vegetable tagine with couscous

I'm joining in the linky over at At Home With Mrs M  - why don't you?

7 comments:

The Mini Mes and Me said...

Im not keen on prawns but that all sounds delicious. I saw an amazing slow cooked macaroni cheese the other and having seen it pop up a few times since I need it!! x

Foodie Quine said...

Love the sound of the lentil pie with cornmeal pastry. Going to give it a go.

Andrea Mynard said...

It all sounds wonderful - great varied food for the week, with lots of veggies, just my sort of thing. Having the menu planned for the week ahead sounds very familiar too. I think I must be a tad food obsessed as if I'm not thinking about planting it, I've always got at least the next 3 meals in my head!

Kim Carberry said...

Enjoy your fish...hehehe
Sounds like you have some lovely meals planned!!
Have a great week x

Unknown said...

WOW the pie and tagine sound right up my street. Enjoy your nights to yourself, I think with us its the other way round! My boyfriend loves when I am out and he can have a steak!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an amazing week! I love merguez sausages and the chicken sounds delicious!

Lauren - Big Eejit said...

Delicious meals :) Have a lovely week x