Monday 6 August 2012

River Cottage Rocks #5 - Summertime

What does summertime cooking mean to you? To me, it means eating the lovely fresh produce my husband grows in the garden, and that sometimes means coping with gluts. And at the moment we are lucky enough to have a mini-glut of blueberries. Now I know there is no such thing as "too many blueberries" but it is lovely to have enough to use in cooking, so yesterday I decided to make some blueberry muffins.


I used the River Cottage recipe for Lemon Curd Marble Muffins on page 388 of River Cottage Everyday, using the Fruity Muffins variation at the bottom of the page. As we have so many blueberries, I doubled up on the blueberries, and because I am diabetic I replaced the sugar with Truvia. Unfortunately Truvia doesn't have the same bulk as the equivalent sweetness of sugar, and this combined with the extra liquid from the doubled amount of blueberries meant the muffins were a little sticky at the bottom. I think next time I will use about a third less milk, which would make them just right. I'll also use the mixture to make 8-10 muffins instead of 12 because I'm greedy and like big muffins!




I am submitting this post to the River Cottage Rocks challenge #5 - Summertime on Jo's Kitchen

2 comments:

Rachel Flowers said...

Mmmmm lovely x I have a heap of blackcurrants. Going to make blackcurrants n apple jam I think :-)

Caroline Taylor said...

These look lovely! I'm loving your little blog too to go with your veg patch.