Sunday 20 May 2012

Review - Grated Hot Horseradish from The English Provender Co.

I was sent a jar of Grated Hot Horseradish from The English Provender Co  to test and review. I love horseradish, but I usually buy it in the form of ready made creamed horseradish, so I enjoyed the chance to experiment with  using it in other ways.


First of all, I had a dollop of it neat with steak and chips. I'd been a bit worried that it would blow the top of my head off, but in fact it was just right - although the flavour was strong enough to mean I only needed a small quantity,  it didn't have those mind-numbing fumes that go straight to your sinuses. (And I humbly apologise for putting the steaks on the griddle so the stripes  went the wrong way!)

Encouraged by my first taste, I also tried one of my other favourite combinations - horseradish and smoked mackerel. I often use horseradish cream instead  of butter when making a smoked mackerel and cucumber sandwich, so this time I buttered the bread and strewed the horseradish over the top.


The verdict? Delicious. In fact much nicer than when I use creamed horseradish.

Finally I made a trio of sauces for with roast beef. I whisked a little double cream and stirred some horseradish in for a horseradish cream,  blended horseradish into Dijon mustard for a more Eastern European flavour, and mixed horseradish into apple sauce as a gesture to Austrian "Apfelkren".


All three were delicious, and I was impressed with how easily it blended  into the sauces. And you can see from the amount left in the jar after using it in 5 different ways just how economical it is! I've definitely been converted from the ready made creamed horseradish I've been buying for years.

Some other ideas I've had for using it, but not tried yet:
  •  added to hot dogs   - another Austrian inspired idea
  • whisked  into Yorkshire Pudding batter to serve with roast beef
  • mixed into the dough for dumplings when making a beef or game casserole
  • whisked into a vinaigrette dressing for a beetroot and red onion salad to serve with smoked fishes and meats
  • blended with sour cream, yoghurt or mayonnaise for a salad dressing or dip.
I'm going to have fun experimenting!

Note the sample was sent to me free of charge for review. No other form of payment was received and the opinions expressed are entirely my own.

1 comment:

Claire Toplis said...

The sandwiches look yummy x