Christmas cards made

Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Melonie's back!

Summer is on the way, and with it thoughts of slices of fresh, juicy watermelon. I love a watermelon and feta cheese salad, sprinkled with fresh mint - especially when eaten in the garden on a sunny evening!

So it's time for my very old stamp "Melonie" (I think she came from Raindrops on Roses sometime around the invention of the wheel) to drop in. I stamped and embossed her and a co-ordinating corner onto a white card, and coloured it all in with markers, keeping the colour scheme very simple so as to keep the CAS look of the card.

I am sharing this with
Allsorts challenge - Berries or Fruit
One Layer Simplicity - Fruit Smoothie
Creative with Stamps - Clean And Simple

A very fine swan indeed

When I read that the theme at CD Sundays was Songs From the Movies, before I'd had a moment to think I found myself humming The Ugly Duckling from the film Hans Christian Anderson. I have no idea why - it has to be well over 50 years since I last saw that film. But did I have anything on a CD suitable to illustrate  it with?

Luckily, the gorgeous Design House CD "Water's Edge" has a design set featuring a swan and cygnets, so I've used the pyramid decoupage and matching backing paper from that to make an easel card. The decoupage sheet included a border which I trimmed down and stamped a sentiment on to create the raised strip for the top of the easel to rest against.

Monochrome at Cardz 4 Guyz

Our latest challenge at Cardz 4 Guyz has just gone live, and this week we want to see your cards have a monochrome theme, that is the crafting sense of monochrome, all shades of just one colour.

I've chosen brown, fading away to cream, and given my card a nautical theme using a Kanban anchor stamp made into a topper using die cut Nesties, some twine to represent rope, textured paper from a DCWV stack, and the words "Ahoy There" die cut using a die from the X Cut Build a Scene Nautical set.

Sunday, 1 May 2016

Julius Caesar, the Roman geezer.....

..... squashed his wife with a lemon squeezer.

OK, Shakespeare didn't write that, but he did write Julius Caesar, which despite having studied it at school is still my favourite of his works. In fact I can recite great chunks of it - but for now I will just say

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears"

The latest challenge at The Male Room is Shakespeare, so I immediately know I wanted to make something with a connection to Julius Caesar, which of course is set in Rome. I've used the Rome stamp from Tim Holtz's Cityscapes set, stamped several times as a background and then again on extra card, which I trimmed and coloured. I used purple - not that any of the buildings are actually purple - because as an Emperor, Caesar would have worn a trim of Imperial Purple fabric to his toga.

The statue head could be just about anybody, it was a stamp from a Raindrops on Roses goody bag many years ago, but let's just pretend it's Caesar and likewise let's pretend the stamps show the Roman skyline as it was then and not as it is now. Artistic license, you know!

I am also sharing this with Crafty Creations - Black and white with a pop of colour 

Vintage bicycle

I must be getting better - my fingers are ink-stained once more!!! There's something very therapeutic about crafting, isn't there?

For this card I used a penny-farthing bicycle stamp that is part of a steampunky set my OH got me last year. In the interests of my continued clear-out, I decided instead of die cutting my own shapes, I would use a couple of the shapes from an old Kanban kit that I bought before I had a die cutting machine.

I stamped the penny-farthing using Vintage Sepia Versafine and edged the shape with Walnut Stain DI. Then I used the DI direct-to-paper (goodness, I've not done that for aeons!) over the large shape, and overstamped it using the Versafine and a large stipple stamp from The Gentleman Crafter.

The ribbon is from my stash and the cogs cut with a Docrafts die set.

I am sharing this with
Shopping Our Stash - Think Ink
Addicted to Stamps and More - Anything Goes
Inkspirational -Vehicles

Christmas Cuties at Sparkles Christmas

It's time for our May challenge at Sparkles Christmas and this time our theme is Christmas Cuties.

insert sponsor details

This card was made using a gift pack that came with one of the craft magazines a few Christmases ago. There was a selection of papers and a few sheets of die cut decoupage. I've used three of the papers and one decoupage sheet here. Unfortunately the die cutting on the decoupage wasn't very accurate, leaving white borders around the images. Trimming off the white with scissors would have been very fiddly and left the layers too small for the base image, so instead I made a feature of all the white bits by using white for all the matting. We crafters can usually find a creative solution to every problem and make every piece of stash into a usable one!

I am sharing this with

Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - Anything Goes
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra - May
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper challenge - May   

Saturday, 30 April 2016


Here's a rather retro card I've made using lots of bits from my snippets box teamed with a stamped sentiment in a font style that is so very retro it really ought to have come back into fashion by now! It originally came from a US firm called Raindrops on Roses and is so old that I ordered it by post, which means it must be pre-1999 as anything I've bought from overseas since then has been done online.
The plaid paper is a remnant from a sheet of 12 x 12 from my trusty DCWV stack 9 - probably my most used collection of designer papers. The flower and leaves are cut with Spellbinders dies - I think they are all from the Jewel Flowers set.

I am sharing this with

Less is More - Use designer paper in a CAS style
Addicted to CAS - Plaid
Sparkles Monthly Challenge - Thinking of you